Page List

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

beauty & the budget - drugstore foundation

I had two things against me when I read that CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous was a good drugstore foundation.  One, I've hated CoverGirl since I was about 12 and their lipgloss disappointed me by drying out my lippies.  Two, I ventured into the world of drugstore foundation with Revlon ColorStay about six months ago, and the end result was cystic acne so bad, I had to buy expensive CoverBlend by Exuviance, which is basically medical-grate, tattoo-covering foundation, just to hide the horror caused by Revlon.  

Thus, I wasn't thrilled to try CoverGirl (again). 

But I did.  

And after 2-3 weeks of wear, I am genuinely surprised to say that this is a solid drugstore foundation, and I find myself going to it more than my Makeup Forever HD Foundation (mostly cause I'm cheap, and I count the dollars I'm pumping out whenever I use foundation over $30).  

It's matte, it doesn't settle (much) into fine lines, and it does really last a minimum of 8-10 hours - more if you add a primer (though it claims to contain one) and set it with powder.   Irrespective of wear, plan on setting it with a light dusting of powder, anyway, as it helps to create a more polished look. 

It's main drawback, I've found, is it can be drying, and it does't wear as well on dryer skin.  I have dryness on my forehead and some eczema around my eyebrows (facial dandruff, anyone?), and it can highlight these issues quite a bit.  (This is lead me to pouring argan oil on my face at nite religiously).  

Other than the dryer texture, it's more than worth a try - I suspect it may become a new favorite of many.  With most drugstore products, it's pretty hard to find a good color match in the middle of WalMart, so buy @ a place with a decent return policy like Ulta (coupon!!) or WalMart. 

And then smile knowing you look pretty fancy for under $10. 

Beautifully Simple, 
Nicole @ Vanity Cosmetics


No comments:

Post a Comment