Page List

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

beauty & the baby

Why would a(n already erratic) blogger take so, so much time away from writing? 

To have a baby! 

As new moms know, and as do family and friends of new moms, just about everything goes out the window when baby is born.  Hair can go unwashed for an unmentionable amount of time, clothes can get re-worn for days and considered passible if there's no (obvious) spit up on them, and what used to be a perfected winged eyeliner with a bold red lip can easily become a swipe of some lib balm and a few dabs of tinted moisturizer - for a special occasion! 

And - that's OK! It's more than OK - it's beautiful and normal and appropriate!  Baby is the focus, and things that were once so important - like a detailed beauty routine - get tossed out the window without so much as a second thought.  

However, in my own very recent journey into motherhood for the first time, I was quick to notice something, so I'll be quick to admit it here.  The more tired sometimes frazzled I sometimes got, the more helpful it was to take a few minutes a day to make myself up and look (what I felt was) presentable.  There's probably a hefty dose of narcism in there, and I accept that.  But a few other reasons resonate, as well.  

Motherhood is and was astoundingly beautiful.  And it is and was exhausting. So, I felt and feel like if I spend a few more minutes on making myself up, I am more prepared to face the day's challenges while also welcoming its baby kisses and smiles.  

I also used to move about my life without meriting any attention in public.  I could easily sneak into and out of a store without being noticed, even if I was unwashed wearing ratty sweatpants.  But, now I have my adorable, attention-getting little monkey with me, and people stop to talk to us constantly! I love it - it's made me more open and communicative as a person, but having the powerful conversation starter of a new baby also invites comments from strangers who mean well but perhaps over-share: "Oh, you look so tired, dear," and "Did you get any sleep?" (No, I didn't.  Thanks.  Maybe one day.)  And in these situations, it helped me feel a bit more...'together' if some concealer and blush steered those comments instead into "Wow - you look good for just having a baby!" Now, I know I can go home and very quickly undo the "looking good" with a swipe of makeup remover, revealing the dark circles under my eyes again.  But, for just a minute - I felt a small twinge of hope that I really did have it 'together' when I looked a bit more made up. (And it helped hide the unwashed hair and spit-up adorned clothes). 

I rarely wear makeup when I'm home all day with my son, and I cherish his sticky baby hands touching my face (not so much when he grabs a fist-full of my hair and yanks it out.  I have a small bald patch now, and he had a huge smile when he realized his tiny baby hands held such power!) 

Makeup is amazing in its transformative power, and each woman and new mommy will undoubtedly reevaluate her relationship with makeup in the wake of a baby.  I applaud women who go bare-faced, and I admire them.  For me, a dab of concealer and some lip gloss helped me be more confident in public and helped share my inner joy and glow on the outside.  

All things in balance can be beautifuly simple, 
Nicole @Vanity Cosmetics 

Vanity Cosmetics' Newest Addition! 

No comments:

Post a Comment